12/08/2026
Site progress in Mayfair.
This townhouse was built in 1895-97 in the Queen Anne Revival style, with a red brick facade, fireproof iron construction, and a Rococo staircase inside.
Before that, an 18th-century house stood here, home to tradesmen.
The new building was nearly twice as wide as the original, with views over Hyde Park. Its first owner was an Anglo-Greek banker who lived there until he died in 1919. In 1913–14 the house was extensively altered for James de Rothschild by the architects Romaine-Walker & Jenkins. By 1932 it was listed for sale with 9 bedrooms, 4 reception rooms, and staff quarters.
After WWII, it stopped being a family home and became offices, showrooms, then flats, a common shift for buildings in this area.
Guarnieri Architects
The nerds of conservation
Understanding the past, redefining the future.